"I'm not fat.. I'm festively plump"
I come from a "thicker" family. My family members of German Norweigen descent are either over 6' or under 5'. Our hearty European ancestors really knew how to eat and drink and be merry. Myself on the other hand, I've always been the odd one out; I'm 5'4" and usually average size by European American standards. I've still battled with weight, but it was due to my self image issues rather than genetic makeup. 2 years ago for my wedding, my mother and I both got into the best shape of our lives. After the vows, we scurried off to our Honeymoon to eat the food I swore off for 6 months. But alas, marriage is infamous for bringing on the pounds and I don't like to disapoint the status quo in such matters.
So, 2 years later, my mom is still in excellent shape and I have gone from a size 6 to a 10. At first I was really upset about my weight gain, but after a few revelations, I've come to terms that it's not my body I'm upset with, it's my clothes. I love shopping and hate throwing things away. I adore dresses and dressing nicely. All of my favorite outfits no longer fit me due to my increased girth. As soon as I put on clothes that fit my curves, I love my shape. After a few yard sales and proper under garnments, I am more comfortable with my body than I was before my wedding day.
So now, here I sit on my couch watching Dancing with the Stars (Go Neicy Nash!) and eating popcorn, remembering that it's not the number on the scale or even the number on the dress; it's the way it makes you feel. I smile to remember that Marilyn Monroe was a size 14/16 by today's standards (look at Some Like It Hot; baby's got some major back). Most of Hollywood is under a size 6, eating their egg white omlettes and splurging on Diet Cokes. I'll take my medium rare steak with garlic mash potatoes for the win :)
You go girl :) Rock out those curves yo mama gave you and enjoy that steak with the potatoes....mmmm.
ReplyDeleteOur world is too focused on the skinny side of things and being skinny, it aint all that cracked up to be. We need people who can be gorgeous in curves, that's how God designed em...that's how they should be :D So show your gorgeous self and be proud!
Love ya hon.